Thursday, January 25, 2007

PETA = Pecker-heads Euthanizing Terrific Animals

Who could be against "the ethical treatment of animals"?

I reckon it depends on your definition of ethical. For the PETA folks, that means taking perfectly healthy, adoptable animals from shelters and killing them.

Obviously, animal issues are a big deal for a moose like me. I get that people are going to kill us. I just don't like the idea of my brethren being cancelled just to hang a head on a wall. If you're gonna dispatch us to the great forest in the sky, at least eat the freakin' meat.

(No, not THAT meat, you fucking perverts.)

But wild animals and domesticated animals are, well, two entirely different animals. Puppies and kitties and those kinds of critters - they depend on people doing the right thing by them. They were domesticated for a reason: Mutual benefit. Both the four-legged and two-legged parties get something out of the relationship.

PETA, though, is opposed to animals being kept as pets. They think any such relationship between people and animals is harmful to the animals.

Can I get a hearty ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MINDS?!?!

Fast forward to the ongoing animal cruelty trial involving two PETA members. Day-by-day recaps of the legal fisticuffs can be found here. Don't read unless you have a strong stomach, though.

The whole thing is sort of baffling. But from what I can tell, PETA takes healthy, perfectly adoptable animals from shelters and animal hospitals, and kills them.

No, I'm not kidding. The PETA freaks kill more than 90% of the animals that they purport to be taking in for the purpose of finding them homes.

Their rationale appears to be that any animal who has lived as the pet/companion/whatever of a human being is spiritually damaged beyond repair. PETA believes that these sweet, cute, cuddly little fur-babies are better off dead than living with a broken, crushed spirit.

Say it with me. HUH?!?!?!

My people have lots of animals. They all seem really happy, a lot happier than they would be if they had to forage for their own dinners. Fuck, I don't think they COULD forage for their own dinners.

And that's kinda the point. Everybody gets into relationships that are mutually beneficial, whether with members of their own species, or a different one.

For example, dogs trade the freedom to eat the squalling human baby for dinner, in exchange for kibble, a warm place by the fire, and the obligation to bark when someone is breaking in.

Doesn't sound like such a bad deal to me. And it doesn't sound much different than many of the other deals that you humans set up amongst yourselves.

Most of all, I don't see how the PETA folks can say that the relationship isn't ethical, and that the dog is better off dead. I have a hunch that if you asked Fido, he'd say, "Ethical shmethical. I like my human, and I'd rather be with him than pushing up daisies or hunting wabbits. Is it time for supper yet?"

.

No comments: